New Era University aims to achieve excellence in different industries and continues to develop its curricular offerings.
College of Criminology
Nature of the Field of Study
The field of criminology is the study of crime and the various agencies of justice as they operate and react to crime, criminals and victims. The Criminology program provides the community with professionally competent and morally upright graduates who can deliver efficient and effective services in crime prevention, crime detection and investigation, law enforcement, public safety, custody and rehabilitation of offenders, criminological research, among others.
The Criminology program aims to:
- encourage research and inquiry on the nature, causes, treatment or punishment of criminal behavior and how criminal justice agencies function and respond to crime, criminals and victims.
- prepare the students for careers in crime prevention, law enforcement, scientific crime detection, correctional administration, public safety and allied fields.
- foster the values of leadership, integrity, accountability and responsibility while serving their fellowmen, community and country.
A graduate of B.S. Criminology is prepared for careers in the following fields, among others:
- Criminological Research
- Scientific crime detection and investigation
- Crime prevention Law enforcement
- Correctional administration
- Public Safety
- Security management
Privileges of registered criminologists:
All registered criminologists are exempt from taking any other entrance or qualifying government or civil service examinations and shall be considered civil service eligible to the following government positions, among others:
(1) Dactylographer; (2) Ballistician; (3) Questioned Document Examiner; (4) Forensic Photographer; (5) Polygraph Examiner; (6) Probation Officer; (7) Parole Officer; (8) Special Investigator; (9) Special Agent; (10) Investigative Agent; (11) Intelligence Agent; (12) Law Enforcement Evaluation Officer; (13) National Police Commission (NAPOLCOM) Inspector; (14) Traffic Operation Officer; (15) Associate Graft Investigation Officer; (16) Special Police Officer; (17) Safekeeping Officer; (18) Sheriff, (19) Security Officer; (20) Criminal Investigator; (21) Warden; (22) Reformation Officer; (23) Firefighter; (24) Fire Marshall; (25) Jail Officer up to the rank of Jail Superintendent; (26) Police Officer up to the rank of Police Superintendent and other law enforcement agencies, and agencies under the Criminal Justice System.
Preference of Appointment in Government Criminal Justice and Other Government Institutions of Registered Criminologists Registered criminologists enjoy priority of appointment and are not required to take any qualifying or entrance examinations in the PNP, the NBI, the BJMP, the BFP, the Land Transportation Office (LTO) and other government positions related to criminology, police and law enforcement work, investigations and security, corrections and public safety of the following bureaus, departments, institutions or agencies of the government: the Department of Justice (DOJ); the Commission on Human Rights (CHR); the Office of the Ombudsman; the Philippine Ports Authority (PPA); the Commission on Elections (COMELEC); the Bureau of Treasury (BoT); the Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation (PAGCOR); the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR); the Department of Tourism (DOT); the Department of Trade and Industry (DTI); the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP); the Bureau of Immigration (BI); the BoC; the Department of Transportation (DOTr); Air Transportation Office (ATO); the Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines (CAAP); the BSP; the BIR; the CHED; the City/Municipal Security Office; the Provincial Jail; the Provincial Security Office; the Metro Manila Development Authority (MMDA); the Supreme Court and lower courts; the Security Consultation; the Social Security System; the NAPOLCOM; the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (ARMM); the Optical Media Board; the Intellectual Property Rights Office; the PDEA, the Public Attorney's Office (PAO); the PPC; government-owned and -controlled corporations and other government agencies with positions involving the practice of criminology.
Republic Act No. 11131
CHED Memorandum Order No. 05, Series of 2018
Bachelor of Criminology
Available in: Main Campus